PERMITS FOR ABNORMAL TRANSPORT
Free Dimensions (driving allowed without a permit)
- up to 3.5 m wide
- up to 4.5 m high
- up to 30m in length (if only the length is exceeded) or up to 24m in length (if the length is exceeded and additionally another dimension)
- Combination: 2 + 3 axles – maximum permissible weight 18t (tractor) + 24t (semi-trailer) = 42t
- Combination: 3 + 3 axles, maximum permissible weight 24t (tractor) + 24t (semi-trailer) = 48t
Permit required when dimensions are exceeded:
- over 3.5m wide
- over 4.5m in height
- over 30m in length (when the length is exceeded) or 24m in length (when the length is exceeded and an additional other dimension)
- over 42t (for 5 axles), 48t (for 6 axles and more)
Permits and their validity
Types of permits
Possibility of renewal
Authorizes to drive: on the route, on vehicles, etc.
Time of travel
- Monday – Thursday during rush hours: between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and between 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
- Friday during rush hours: between 6:00 a.m. and 09:00 a.m. and between 3:00 pm and 00:00
- Saturday and holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday and holidays from 12:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Possibility of introducing changes in the permit
Original permit required
- A route survey is required after exceeding at least one of the parameters 30m x 4.5m x 4.5m
- Transport combination, which is oversize itself when empty, requires a permanent permit to move around the territory of Sweden without loading
- The transport combination can have an overhang of up to 5m (counting from the center of the last axle)
Civil escort of abnormal transport
Of what parameters / number of escort cars
- transport exceeding 3.1 m – an escort vehicle is required on single-lane roads
- transport over 3.50 m – an escort vehicle on highways is required
- transport over 4.50m – an escort vehicle and 2 VTL required
- transport over 30m to 35m – an escort vehicle is required
- transport over 35m – an escort vehicle and 2 VTL are required
- Width over 3.50m, length over 30m, 2 escort vehicles required
- Width over 4.50m, length over 35m, 2 escort vehicles + 2 VTL vehicles required
Types of escorts
- you can drive your own pilot, but must be properly equipped (vehicle up to 4.5 tons, with CB radio, yellow beacons – at least one piece);
- the pilot must have a driving license for categories B and C and speak either Swedish or English, and must be able to communicate with the driver in both languages;
- information boards (clearly visible from the front and rear) – VARNING (mounted above the windshield of the vehicle) are also mandatory
Fee for escort downtime
Police escort or substitute services
Of what parameters?
Above 4.5 m wide and / or 35 m long (VTL pilotage or, in some cases, the police), in some cases also above 50 t, if there is a bridge on the route on which it is possible to travel less than 30 km per hour and / or the train must pass through such take the detour alone (without other road users).