PERMITS FOR ABNORMAL TRANSPORT
Free Dimensions (driving allowed without a permit)
- up to 3.25 m wide
- up to 4.5 m high (however, each time the route passability should be checked for the current height of the set)
- when indivisible loading: up to 20 m in length (and when other dimensions are exceeded, provided that the length from the king’s pin to the end of the load does not exceed 12 m)
- when load is divisible:
– up to 20m in length (if additionally none of the other dimensions is exceeded)
– up to 3.25 m wide and provided that the length from the king’s pin to the end of the load does not exceed 12 m
- up to 50t (standard loads, indivisible load) – The permissible total weight may be lower on some road sections, and at certain times there may be axle load restrictions on some routes.
Permit required when dimensions are exceeded:
- indivisible load
- over 3.25 m wide
- 4.5 m high
- 20m in length
- 50t (when the axle pressures are within the norm) or when the axle pressures exceed the permissible values, i.e. 8t / axle in the semi-trailer
Permits and their validity
Types of permits
Possibility of renewal
- registration documents
Authorizes to drive: on the route, on vehicles, etc.
- for one transport combination
- for one route
- dimensions specified in the permit
Time of transport
Only during the day, with the exception of the prohibitions:
- Monday – Thursday during rush hours: between 7.00 a.m. and 9.00 a.m. and between 3 p.m. and 6.00 p.m.
- Friday during rush hours: between 7:00 am and 9:00 am and between 3:00 pm and midnight
- from 6.00 am on Saturday to 24.00 on Sunday
- on the days preceding holidays from 15:00 to 24:00 on the day of the holida
Possibility of introducing changes in the permit
Original permit required
- If the spacing in the semi-trailer is between 1.3m and 1.79m, the maximum tonnage for which we will receive a permit in Norway is 52t (with a 3-axle tractor and at least 3 axles in the semi-trailer).
- If the spacing in the semi-trailer is above 1.79 m, the maximum tonnage for which we will receive a permit in Norway is 56t (with a 3-axle tractor and at least 3 axles in the semi-trailer).
Civil escort of abnormal transport
Of what parameters
- 3m wide – pilot vehicle required (the number of pilots is decided by the office after issuing the permit)
- 23.5 m long – pilot vehicle required (the number of pilots is decided by the office after issuing the permit)
In other cases at the decision of the official (the information will be visible in the permit).
Types of escort cars
You can drive with your own escort car, but you must be properly equipped (vehicle up to 4.5 tons), with a CB radio, yellow beacons (at least one), fire extinguisher, first aid kit, reflective vest, and speak Norwegian or English.
Information boards (clearly visible from the front and rear) are also mandatory:
- “Bred last” – when there is width,
- “Lang last” – when there is length,
- “Tung last” – when there is a tonnage.
Fee for escort downtime
Police escort or substitute services
Of what parameters?
Usually when exceeding 25m / 30m x 3.5m / 4m x 4.5m – 65t
In other cases, it all depends on the route – a police pilot may be required even with smaller dimensions, where theoretically only a civilian pilot should be sufficient (information about the police pilot will be visible in the permit – each time at the decision of the official).
The police may also be required below 4.5 m in height when passing through some tunnels (information about the police pilot will be visible in the permit – each time at the decision of the official).